Print Bookmark

Photos

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 190» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...


County Tyrone, Ireland

Castle at Newtown-Stewart

Aughentaine Castle, in Aghintain Townland, was built in 1618 by Sir William Stewart. In 1622 it is was described as a large Castle of Lyme & Stone, strong & defencible...about it is a Bawne of lyme & stone, 211foot long, 112 foot broad & 10 foot high, with Flanckers". Only fragments of this 17th century fortified house remain. It was destroyed in 1641 and never rebuilt. The west wall stands to full height and there are some fireplaces at the higher levels. The building was three storeys high plus attic. The main block is aligned E-W and is about 17m by 10m externally.

A wing about 6m square projects from the middle of the north wall. In the angle between this wing and the W portion of the main building there is a fine Scottish-type corbel, with 12 courses of corbels. This carries the remains of a circular stairwell which rises from first floor level.



File nameNewtown Stewart 2.jpg
File Size323.28k
Dimensions1410 x 952
Linked toSir William Stewart

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 190» Next»     » Slide Show






This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2006, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.