Print Bookmark

Photos

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 190» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...


County Donegal, Ireland

In 1611 Sir William Stewart built Fort Stewart as a defence along the shores of Lough Swilly. When another planter Sir Richard Hansard moved to Lifford, Stewart acquired Hansard's Ramelton estates.

In 1623 he was made a baronet and granted the castle of Ramelton, becoming the biggest landowner in the town. He also gained valuable fishing rights on Lough Swilly.

Donegal had become a county in 1585, and Sir William Stewart was one of the county's three members of parliament during the period 1613-15 and again in 1634. He is also credited with building part of Letterkenny town, and with the formation of the "Lagganeers" or Laggan army: this force were victorious at the battle of Glenmaquin, defeating Sir Phelim O?Neill in 1641. The Stewarts of Ramelton are buried in their family vault at Killydonnell Franciscan Friary, between Letterkenny and Ramelton.


File namem6s6aicjogoampxnh1a9dzzq7k4g1nn$oi1a92uf9yu0cwjwt15eofyxpkdbxew.png
File Size171.05k
Dimensions210 x 279
Linked toSir William Stewart

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 190» Next»     » Slide Show






This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2006, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.